Create and Contribute
After completing our Connect and Participate programme, students can experience a deeper connection with the city by contributing to an existing Gap Filler project or creating their own new project with positive community outcomes in mind.
Year Level: New Entrant to Year 13
Curriculum: Level 1-13
Available all year: We are currently seeking an indoor meeting space for terms 2&3.
Times: Morning or afternoon times to be confirmed on booking.
Length: 45 min upwards to be discussed according to time available and needs.
Meeting place: Depending on the focus we can meet at the project, at your school, or a predetermined venue. To be discussed on booking.
Cost: Free New Entrant to Year 8, Yr 9 – 13 + (tertiary and internationals) we ask for a contribution to costs dependant on decile.
Numbers: One class at a time up to 30 students at any one time.
Requirements: Closed in shoes, water bottle and appropriate dress for the weather.
Book a programme
Key Concepts: Community, identity, sustainability, creativity, contribution to society, rights and responsibility, taking action, collaboration, leadership, experimentation.
Possible activities include:
- Volunteering on one of our projects (see calendar for more details);
- Trialling and giving feedback on one of the projects that is still in development (see calendar for opportunities);
- Reviewing and monitoring existing or adding to existing projects; or
- Creating new projects in response to community needs, or for your school or local community.
Optional extra for Y4-13 Programme – pizza lunch $7 / student
Students help to make pizza in our outdoor pizza oven and share/ enjoy their mahi.
We provide dough, basic tomato paste, and cheese toppings. Gluten and Dairy free options available (this may incur extra charges). Students will be split into groups and given a task to help prepare pizza.
Optional: BYO toppings to contribute.
- Thinking – Students will use creative, critical and metacognitive processes to make sense of their experience and how communities can contribute to our city.
- Managing self – We aim to empower students by presenting them with engaging, interactive activities and providing a role model with a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Connecting and participating – Students are involved in planning and creating a community project or volunteering with a community organisation that contributes to the city, their school or local community.
Opportunities to contribute to Gap Filler's projects 2017 (Calendar coming soon)
- We are looking for new games to trial on Super Street Arcade in the spring. If your students are interested in developing a new game for the big screen that can be enjoyed by people on the street get in touch with us now.
- For more information about other opportunities, come back soon...
Now that I have learnt what Gap Filler does, I can’t stop thinking of ideas. Every time I see an empty space, I imagine what I could turn it into.Student
It is so much fun learning ‘real life’ things. I think I might be a city planner or work with Gap Filler when I leave school.Student
The students have learned an enormous amount in such a short period of time. They have learned project management, budgeting, negotiation skills, working cooperatively as part of a team, research skills, and presentation and communication skills. Having an ‘expert’ as in Sally to provide answers along the way has given the pupils real motivation and they have often said how empowered they feel.Teacher
I have learnt that even though I am not very good at talking about my ideas, I can now draw concept plans (like Gap Filler ones) and everyone thinks they are cool, and people want to know what my ideas are.Student
This is the coolest thing I have done at school. The visit into see the Gap Filler sites and meet Sally made me realise that I can make a difference to our city, even though I am just a kid.Student
I believe that it is absolutely critical that the youth of Christchurch are given the opportunity to have a voice through visual communication or creative expression, especially in the public arena where they can be heard; they need to know that what they have to say matters and is valued. Gap Filler are able to provide students with this opportunity.Teacher